>I didn’t actually eat these meals in a single day. But I assume that, in some alternate reality, there exists a day in which my other self consumed these three meals consecutively. So we’ll pretend.
– Greek yogurt
– 1/2 Trader Joe’s mini fiber cake
– Dried mulberries
– Chia seeds
This became one of my favorite breakfasts a few months ago, and greek yogurt is about the only non-vegan food I eat at the moment.
– Cheddar rice crackers
– Lydia’s Organics kale chips
– DIP x 4: My sundried tomato hummus, Oasis hummus, my cilantro-jalepeno hummus, Oasis Baba Ghannouj
I really wasn’t lying when I said that hummus is my lifeblood.
– Sauteed kale with nutritional yeast
– Homemade cilantro-jalepeno hummus (a la mama pea)
– Homemade italian seitan sausage
This pasta screams Spring. It’s light, fresh, and bright. And absolutely delicious.
This dinner was inspired by a dish I saw on Serious Eats, which called for bacon. I subbed in some “smoked” tofu.
I used parmesan when I made it the first time, but the substitution of nutritional yeast could veganize this.
Fettucine with Corn Pesto and Smoky Tofu
– 2 servings fettucine or other long pasta
– Kernels from 4 ears of corn (cut off)
– 10-12 leaves of basil
– 3 tbsp parmesan
– 1 clove garlic, cut in half
– 1 small piece of tofu (1 or 2 inch cube)
– 1 tsp. liquid smoke
– 1 tbsp. soy sauce
– Handful of toasted walnuts
1. Cut tofu into very thin inch-long strips and marinate in the liquid smoke and soy sauce
2. Cook the pasta
3. While pasta is cooking, Saute corn kernels and garlic in olive oil for 5-7 minutes, until tender
4. In a food processor or blender, puree about 3/4 of the corn (and the garlic) along with 1/2 cup water, 2 T parmesan, and all but 2 leaves of the basil. Adjust portion of water to create a smooth, fairly thick sauce. Salt and pepper to taste
5. Heat a bit of oil and shallow fry the tofu strips until crispy
6. Drain pasta and mix with ‘pesto’
7. Chiffonade the extra leaves of basil
8. Combine reserved corn, basil, 1 T parmesan, and crisped tofu. Top pasta with this mixture
Today it is CHAI day CHAI day.
Happy Earth Day!
While I was walking home from Mecca with my arms full of groceries, I could hardly wait to rip into the Chai Bumble Bar I’d just purchased
Despite the anticipation, though, I was momentarily stalled by what I noticed in my cabinets once I walked into my apartment.
Before breaking into that little bar of heaven, I had to take a picture of what I saw:
Above: Numi Rooibos and Golden Chais, Trader Joe’s Rooibos Chai, Vega Vanilla Chai Protein, Theo Chai Tea Chocolate (swoon), Chai Bumble Bar
Needless to say, the bar found a few friends in my pantry. And then I devoured it in all of its chai-spiced goodness.
In other Chai Day news, I fed my addiction with a nice chai latte during my break from work because, clearly, there’s no such thing as too much chai.