I blame Costco for this one. What else would have possibly possessed me to buy a 3 pound bag of frozen blueberries? After drinking enough blueberry smoothies to last me all summer, I had to put them into something new. Naturally, I baked. Never having made a buckle before (and, admittedly, not really even knowing what it was), I looked for a recipe online.
This cake is delicious – a bit dense, not too sweet, but brimming with ripe blueberries. And crumbly, brown sugar-y streusel topping just makes all problems disappear.
And, hey, it’s full of fruit, so this is totally an acceptable breakfast. And it’s so delicious alongside a mug of coffee.
Vegan Blueberry Buckle
Based on this recipe, with some adaptations
For the cake:
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup agave nectar (or maple syrup, or a combination)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk (or 2 more tablespoons oil)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups blueberries (if frozen, thaw first)
For the streusel
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (or canola oil)