It’s Vegan Pizza Day, and I’m going to keep this post short and sweet. Pizza doesn’t need much explanation.
Pizza is delicious. Vegan pizza is seriously delicious. Vegan pizza is worth celebrating. And celebrate I did.
This pizza is a perfect combination of spicy, sweet, creamy, and tangy. With chipotle garlic tomato paste, creamy tofu chèvre, caramelized onions, and a bit of fresh arugula, there’s no room to miss melty cheese.
CARAMELIZED ONION AND TOFU CHEVRE PIZZA
- Favorite store-bought or homemade pizza dough
- 1 recipe chipotle garlic tomato paste, below
- Tofu chèvre, below (adapted from Keepin’ it Kind)
- 1 onion, caramelized (instructions below, if needed)
- Handful of baby arugula, optional
(preheat oven according to your own pizza dough recipe or instructions)
1. Stretch/roll pizza dough to desired shape and size (as you can see, I go for a rustic look- AKA as thin as I can get it, no matter the shape). I bake my pizza on a pre-heated pizza stone for optimal crispness
2. Spread tomato paste on pizza
3. Top with caramelized onions and crumbles/balls of tofu chèvre
4. After baking: top with arugula, if desired.
Chipotle and garlic tomato paste:
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1-2 tablespoons adobo sauce from can of chipotles
- 4 cloves garlic
- olive oil
1. Smash garlic cloves. Saute in a teaspoon of oil until lightly browned and softened. Mince.
2. Mix garlic, tomato paste, and adobo sauce.
Tofu Chèvre (adapted)
- 8 oz. super firm tofu
- 1.5 tbsp white miso
- 1/2 T. apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- Salt to taste
1. Combine all ingredients in food processor, blending until smooth. Adjust salt to taste
- 1 large onion (any color)
- Olive oil
1. Slice onion in half, and then into segments about 1/2 cm. wide.
2. Saute onions in 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat.
3. After 2 minutes, reduce to simmer, cover with lid, and cook for about 30 minutes.